Cairo and the area surrounding it are on many bucket lists due to its wealthy tradition, monumental websites, and historical historical past.
While the town itself is hectic, scorching, and an assault on the senses, there are unimaginable issues to find round each nook.
The meals, spiritual websites, and historical streets draw a continuing stream of holiday makers from around the globe.
But earlier than setting off to Cairo, there are some things you want to bear in mind. In this publish, we’ll cowl the whole lot it’s essential to learn about touring to Cairo, together with:
- What are the prices for vacationers?
- Things to learn about tradition and etiquette
- What are the highest points of interest?
- How protected is it?
- Local meals and drinks
- How good is the WiFi?
- How lengthy are you able to keep?
Ready? Here are the highest 7 issues it’s essential to know earlier than visiting Cairo:
Did you recognize… Later this 12 months the Grand Egyptian Museum is because of open and when it does it’s anticipated to be one of many largest museums on this planet.
At over 5 million sq. toes, the museum will home an estimated 100,000 artifacts together with lots of King Tutankhamun’s treasures.
If you might be touring to Egypt quickly, the museum is reportedly providing restricted excursions of the brand new area earlier than the official opening.
1) Cairo Affordability
The foreign money in Egypt is the Egyptian Pound or EGP. The present alternate fee is £10 EGP = $0.32 USD or $10 USD = £309 EGP.
Here are the common prices for vacationers in USD:
- Average resort worth: One evening at a 3-star resort sometimes prices round $65/evening, whereas a room at a 4-star resort averages $120.
- Luxury 5-star accommodations: Luxury 5-star accommodations common $250 an evening, though there are costlier choices. For instance, St. Regis Cairo has primary rooms beginning at $450 per evening, or you’ll be able to dwell like a Queen within the Royal Suite for a cool $19,400 per evening.
- If you’re on a finances: Cairo has loads of inexpensive hostels to select from. A mattress at a well-rated hostel in a very good space will value between $5- $8 per evening in a shared dorm or $15 – $20 for a non-public ensuite room.
Top 5 Travel Insurance Plans For 2023 Starting At $10 Per Week
Visitors to Cairo will discover unimaginable meals at actually inexpensive costs.
- A 3-course meal at a mid-range restaurant for 2 prices lower than $20.
- For a low-cost meal at a reasonable restaurant, anticipate to pay round $3.50
- A beer prices between $1 – $2, whereas a cappuccino is often lower than $2.
- Getting round Cairo is best and most cost-effective on public transportation. The metropolis has a clear and environment friendly underground metro system and an intensive bus community. The worth of metro tickets relies on the gap traveled however ranges between $0.16 – $0.32 per journey.
- There are loads of Taxis in Cairo, and they’re probably the most handy solution to get anyplace the Metro doesn’t journey to. There are two varieties of taxis to select from – black and white taxis are older and unmetered (and sometimes don’t have any air-con). Yellow or white taxis are metered and fares begin at $0.33 and price a further $0.20 per mile traveled.
- Uber is offered in Cairo and charges are similar to Taxis, and include the additional benefit of not needing to barter with the motive force.
- Many vacationers who don’t thoughts spending further on transportation select to get round by tour bus. Several firms supply transport from accommodations on to the highest points of interest and embrace the value of admission. Packages sometimes value round $100 per particular person.
- Tourists seeking to discover the Nile can take pleasure in a experience on a small picket sailboat referred to as a felucca. The value is usually round $5 per hour.
2) Culture And Etiquette In Cairo
Check this listing earlier than your journey! Here are a few of the main Dos and Don’ts in Cairo.
- DO gown appropriately: Women particularly ought to gown modestly and carry a shawl to cowl shoulders and knees if wanted. Men ought to keep away from sporting tank tops.
- DON’T smooch in public: any PDA above holding palms is frowned upon, so save the general public smooching for an additional metropolis.
- DO carry money: Many companies in Cairo nonetheless function fully on money, so keep away from having to stroll away from a desired memento or plate of avenue meals empty-handed and carry some money and cash.
- DON’T neglect to tip: Another nice purpose to hold money is for suggestions. Tipping is commonplace in Cairo so plan to tip a small quantity for any companies.
- DO plan to haggle: Negotiating the value is anticipated in markets, memento retailers, and in taxis.
- DON’T go to mosques throughout prayer occasions: Muslims sometimes pray 5 occasions a day and the particular occasions are posted outdoors every mosque
3) Top Attractions in Cairo
Cairo has a great deal of fascinating historic and cultural websites to discover. Here are just a few of the top things to see and do while exploring Cairo:
- The Pyramids of Giza – No journey to Cairo is full with no go to to the Pyramids of Giza, a mighty sight that has remained largely intact for 4,500 years and continues to be thought to be one of many 7 (unique) wonders of the world.
- Museum of Egyptian Antiquities – Visitors can discover a plethora of historical artwork and artifacts on the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities. However, some latest guests have famous that a few of the shows have already been eliminated to be ready for the Grand Egyptian Museum.
- Coptic Cairo – The oldest neighborhood within the metropolis is a maze of alleyways, historical spiritual buildings, historic websites, and loads of scrumptious avenue meals.
4) How Safe Is It For Tourists?
Cairo is a typically protected place for vacationers, and lots of vacationer areas profit from extra safety safety. However, there are nonetheless some issues that vacationers ought to remember to remain protected throughout their go to:
- Beware of pickpockets: Be particularly vigilant in vacationer websites and in crowds, as pickpocketing and bag snatching is the most typical crime towards vacationers in Cairo.
- Watch out for scammers: Scammers are plentiful in Cairo, particularly in vacationer areas. Book excursions forward of time to keep away from having to evaluate whether or not a suggestion of a tour is professional or not. If you intend on buying gold, do analysis on the present worth in order that you don’t get taken benefit of.
- Keep an eye fixed on journey warnings: Terrorism and civil unrest are unusual in Egypt, so verify for government travel warnings earlier than you go. Avoid becoming a member of any protests or demonstrations as they’ve turn into violent previously.
- Know what to do in an emergency: Earthquakes and tremors are widespread in Cairo, so know the right security protocols and have an emergency plan. Dial 112 for emergency companies.
- Women bear in mind: Sexual harassment is widespread all through Cairo, so be ready to keep off any undesirable consideration. The metro has women-only automobiles, and it is suggested to make use of them, particularly in case you are touring alone.
- DO get journey insurance coverage: Travel insurance may also help in well being emergencies in addition to with masking the prices of any journey mishaps throughout your Cairo journey. For 5 nice choices, read more here.
5) Local Eats And Drinks
One of one of the best elements of journey is testing the native delicacies, and Cairo is a improbable place to attempt new meals. Traditional Egyptian meals dates again to historical occasions and is a must-try. Vegans and vegetarians may have loads of choices all through the town. Don’t let your self depart with out making an attempt a minimum of one of many following:
- Ful medames – One of Egypt’s nationwide dishes is that this creamy fava bean stew flavored with olive oil, spices, and lemon.
- Aish Baladi – Egyptian flatbread much like pita, constructed from entire wheat flour and baked contemporary all day. The bread is commonly used to scoop up different elements of a meal.
- Koshari – a well-liked avenue meals consisting of lentils, rice, chickpeas, and macaroni that’s topped with tomato sauce and fried onions
- Molokhia – a comforting soup made from jute leaves cooked in hen broth
- Falafel – deep-fried balls of floor fava beans seasoned with contemporary herbs
- Karkadeh – a candy hibiscus tea served scorching or chilly
- Sahlab – a comforting beverage constructed from the bottom bulb of an orchid and blended with rosewater, milk, and sugar and topped with pistachios and cinnamon
- Qamar Al-Din – slices of dried apricots are used to make this tea which is served chilly and sweetened, common throughout Ramadan
6) How’s the WiFi?
Using Ookla, an web velocity testing service, the common web speeds in Cairo for March 2023 have been 21.71mbps obtain and 6.55mbps add.
7) How Long Can I Stay?
U.S. Citizens want a visa to go to Egypt, and it may be obtained upon arrival on the airport for $25. Visas are good for 30 days and are renewable. It can also be doable to use for an e-visa by the Egyptian Government’s website – no different web site is allowed to promote e-visas, and there are a number of rip-off web sites arrange. Upon entry, passports will need to have six months of validity and a minimum of one clean web page.
Traveler Alert: Don’t Forget Travel Insurance For Your Next Trip!
↓ Join Our Community ↓
The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the most recent reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s taking place day by day!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS
Enter your e-mail deal with to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox.
This article initially appeared on TravelOffPath.com